Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 136: Visit Your Local Library

Telling me to make better use of the library is like telling a cat to take more naps. Oh, the torture. Well, if you INSIST. Yay!

New York Public Library

I love and adore libraries. I love to walk the stacks, I love to find mis-shelved books and put them back in their precise locations. I check out the special displays, I read the flyers posted at the front. On a recent trip to New York City, Tony and I spent one of our precious afternoons at the New York Public Library. I think I got my first library card when I was three. I am a total library junkie.

Here are a few tools that you might like to make your library experience more enjoyable.

(a) Use your library's online catalog before going over, just to make sure they have what you want.

(b) If you're on Amazon.com, you can use the Library Lookup tool to check to see if your local library has a book you are interested in. This bookmarklet will open in a small window and use the ISBN of the book you are interested in to see if your library catalog lists it.

1 comment:

  1. You did get your first library card at three years old, because the requirement was that you had to be able to write your own name clearly on the application. You did. The library? Norfolk's Kirn Library, downtown. The building has since been torn down for a light rail terminal. The Kirn collection has been moved to an historical building about block away from its former location.
    As you know, I love libraries too, and hope I can return to a library gig when I retire.....?

    ReplyDelete