Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 119: Miracle Vinegar



I've put off doing a "use vinegar to clean your counters" posting because it seems like it's right up there with "change your lightbulbs". Yawn.

But hey, it's summer, and I'm running low on ideas. Today we finally ran out of regular cleaner for the counters so I broke down and mixed 1 part white vinegar with one part water, and put it in the spray bottle that had formerly held the "real" cleaner. Voila, cheapest cleanser ever.

Seemed to work fine except now I crave salad every time I go in the kitchen. One blog suggested adding oil of lemon eucalyptus or oil of lavender to curb the smell a bit. Yeah, let me just whip that out of my pantry. I don't know about you, but I don't just have $20 bottles of oil of lavender lying around. I'll make do with the salad dressing smell.

3 comments:

  1. Grama Wells would be proud. She used vinegar for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also works as the perfect drain cleaner! If you have a "clog," put some baking soda down the drain add vinegar and voila! Cheaper and safer than other products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking soda is a miracle use for cleaning almost anything...instead of using a harsh cleaner for stuck on things (burnt coffee or things in pots and pans) do baking soda + some warm water and let soak - comes right off.

    http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/154/1/30-baking-soda-tips.html

    ReplyDelete