Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 93: Eat Dandelions

Welcome to spring. The dandelions are everywhere and so of course I figured we should eat them: how much more "local" can our produce be? Walk out your front door, and voila, nature provides.

Claire and I picked up a bag full of dandelion greens on a trash pick-up adventure on Saturday.

Picking dandelion greens

We brought the greens home and I quadruple-washed them, painstakingly picking all the weird pieces out and washing all the grit off.

Washing the dandelions

How to wash dandelion greens

Dandelion greens, washed

I then made a dandelion and beet greens frittata. Well, that's what I'm calling it anyway. We had roasted new potatoes, sweet potato, and beets on the side.

Dandelion frittata and roasted potatoes and beets

What I did:
1. Wash the dandelion leaves and stems.
2. Wash and chop the beet greens.
3. In a large stainless steel skillet, saute greens in olive oil with fresh chopped garlic and sliced vidalia green onions.

dandelions and beet greens, ready to saute

4. Move the greens to a plate and melt a little butter in the pan.
5. Crack 12 eggs into a bowl (I used Asgard Farm local/beautiful/real eggs $2.50 a dozen and they come to Burlington on Fridays for pickup). Throw in some baking powder (about .25t) and some cream (a tablespoon?). Whisk this.
6. Put the egg mixture in the pan. Gently put the greens in, distributing them evenly and letting them sink into the eggs. Cook this - but do not stir it - on medium for about 5 minutes.
7. When the egg stuff begins to set around the sides, move it to the oven. (Mine was set at 400 for the potatoes and beets, so I left it like that.)
8. Cook in the oven for a few minutes until it just begins to set in the middle. Take it out and put some chopped tomatoes in the center. Top with some shredded pepper jack cheese. (I used 1/2 block, I think that is about 4 ounces.)

Dandelion frittata

9. Put it back in the oven to finish. Maybe another 4 or 5 minutes?

Here is Tony's reaction:

1 comment:

  1. Well I know we grew up as hicks, BUT I agree with Tony. Let Them DIE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete