Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 86: Personal Care Products: Toothpaste

I've been a Crest girl since I was old enough to brush. I've also never had a cavity. This week I decided to try to green it up a bit. Here were my requirements:

1. No baking soda - I have very sensitive teeth and somewhat receding gums on one side, and several dentists have recommended NOT using baking soda based toothpastes. This rules out making my own toothpaste.
2. Must have fluoride - same reason. Sensitive teeth need more fluoride, or perhaps more correctly, fluoride will reduce sensitivity.
3. Must have recycled plastic container
4. Must have minty flavor
5. Must have no animal testing and no animal ingredients.
6. Must be made by a good company

I decided on Tom's Natural Toothpaste Spearmint flavor with fluoride.



Here's what I notice so far.

1. It's 2.5 times more expensive. Regular Crest costs $2. This stuff costs $4.99.
2. It has sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) in it (yuck) which causes it to foam in the mouth just like "real" toothpaste. This gives detergent properties.
3. The spearmint is nice.
4. The biggest flaw in it is that it doesn't cause your whole mouth to tingle like "real" toothpaste.
5. I'll keep using it but I'm pretty skeptical of the SLS in it. I might try a different brand when this runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment