Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 70: Our House, Unplugged

I always liked blackouts when I was growing up. Of course, for all of us kids, digging out the candles and flashlights was a treat. I was also fascinated with the hush that fell over the house, with no television on or no radio blaring. When the power came back on, it was always a bit of a let down. The sudden blast of light and noise would signal the return to the modern world. The clock would again tick as we slipped back into normal time.

In the twenty-first century, we are accustomed to ignoring the rainbow of LED power lights and the low, soft hum of fans in refrigerators, computers, and furnaces. When you visit a Bose Audio store and try on the QuietComfort 3 Noise Cancelling headphones, you discover that for only $300 you can experience near silence.

I want it for less.

This week, I'm going to work on unplugging as many useless appliances as possible at our little white house at the end of Brookfield Drive. I don't plan for us to quit using our washer and dryer and start cleaning clothes in the bathtub. After all, I'm still the kind of guy that likes ironed pants and dry-cleaned shirts. I simply would prefer that appliances in my house be off when I'm not using them. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment