Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 57: Wash my face with water heated in the microwave

It seems to take forever in this new house for hot water to reach the tap. This is especially a problem at night when I want to wash my face before going to bed. The first chilly night last fall, I wanted to wash my face in hot water, but it seemed to take a really, really, really long time. So Tony got a bucket and we measured how much was wasted waiting for the water to get hot. We collected one full gallon of water! We promptly used that gallon to flush the toilet, and I vowed not to use the hot water from the tap again unless it came out hot right away.

Instead, I have this new routine: I take a glass bowl from downstairs, fill it with about a cup of water, heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave, and voila, hot water for my washcloth. Problem solved, win-win.

so far...
Pocket: 7, Planet: 12, Win-win: 37

2 comments:

  1. Since the microwave also uses power, you could run the faucet and water plants with it? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html reports that it costs $0.12 to run a microwave for 1 minute. Town of Gibsonville reports that is costs $0.004 for a gallon of water, plus the gas to heat it. It's kind of scary that it doesn't even cost a penny for a gallon of water.

    ReplyDelete