Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 8: Shop in Secondhand Stores

Tony: wow, look at all the stuff you can get at a thrift store! It just needs a good washing, and some of this stuff is good as new.

Megan: I like the idea of recycling and re-using rather than buying new. Some of this stuff is pretty bad, but there's some cute stuff too. Thrift stores and garage sales are ok, but it's really hit-or-miss sometimes. What about other types of secondhand stores? Let's use this posting to talk about all types of "alternative shopping" in our area.


Today we made a trip to the local Goodwill store, dropped some stuff off, picked some stuff up, and then made this list of other resources we use.

1. Craigslist: an online newspaper classified section Greensboro Craigslist and Raleigh-Durham Craigslist.

2. Freecycle: people giving stuff away for free Alamance County Freecycle.

3. Thrift Store and secondhand clothes store map for Alamance County:


View Secondhand Stores in Alamance County in a larger map

Yes, there's a consignment shop in West Burlington that I did not include but I don't like it (long story). This is only a map of places I like and would visit again.

Yesterday Tony found an outfit that he needed, a sweater and a pair of jeans. I found a few things that I sort of wanted, and there were some cute sweaters, but nothing I couldn't live without, so I didn't get anything. There were some very cute kids clothes, but all the wrong sizes.

so far....
Pocket: 2, Planet: 1, Win-Win: 5

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, most of the sweaters I liked (practically new Eddie Bauer ones!) were one size too small or three sizes too big. (XXXL?!?) The sweater that I did get ($3.75) didn't fit quite right when I got it home. The jeans ($5.00) do fit and don't have holes in the knees like most of my others. Since there weren't any other pairs there even close to my size, it looks like I'll have to buy some new ones or have Megan patch the old ones.

    ReplyDelete