Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 6: Shampoo

Megan: It says here (reading from subversive granola hippie e-book) that Americans use too much shampoo and that our hair doesn't really need it. Hm. I don't know, my hair doesn't look that great when I don't wash it. I'm skeptical.

Tony: I don't really have that much hair anyway. How bad could it get?


It turns out that there's an entire "No Poo" movement. Something in that sentence is begging for a joke, but instead I will just point you to this article on giving up shampoo from NPR.

My knee-jerk reaction is to try to "green" my current shampoo habits: use less (I probably use way too much shampoo as it is; I just love my suds!), and use something without harsh chemicals. Of course, then I still have all the wasted plastic packaging that the shampoo comes in, as well as the cost of organic shampoo. I have heard of places that sell organic shampoo in bulk and you can bring your own container, but there is nothing like that where we live AT ALL.

I've read horror stories about home remedy shampoos and vinegar baths for the head, etc. None of this sounds pleasant. I can't go to work smelling like a jar of pickles. Ack.

What to do, what to do. Ok, I've got it. Let's say that Tony is successful in this crazy no washing thing (ugh) and cuts his shampoo consumption down without having his head growing dreadlocks. Let's further say that I cut my consumption back a bit and buy organic shampoo. Aren't we at the same point that we started, price-wise, or even a little less costly, but we've increased the planet-greenness of the shampoo we ARE using? As well as decreasing trash/waste output over time? Am I deluding myself?

I'm going to chalk this up as a win-win. PS, ask Tony how his hair feels on Day 4. hahahahhahaha

so far...

Pocket: 2, Planet: 1, win-win: 3

1 comment:

  1. Well Tony lasted 4 days and he's back to shampoo. I'll see if I can get him to update how it went and what it felt like to have 4-day old dreads.

    ReplyDelete