Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 26: PAPER WEEK: Buy E-Books, Sell Paper Books

Tony: We can sell all these books on Amazon and not have so much "stuff" around the house. New books we'll buy online if possible, or request them from the university library.

Megan: Great idea. Does this mean I can buy as many books as I want, as long as they are all electronic?


We've sold a lot of books on Amazon. Some old textbooks, novels, reference books, a wide variety. It is nice to have a smaller bookshelf, although I think books can be a conversation starter when people come over, so it makes me a little sad to watch the shelf dwindle down in size. What's left is a very strange eclectic mix of stuff we've deemed too important/interesting/special to sell, or which the market has told us is too value-less to sell.

I've been reading more since I got the Kindle last April. I've bought lots of books for it, and in yesterday's post we discussed reading the newspaper on the Kindle. I would not recommend it for reading heavily referenced non-fiction (i.e. lots of reliance on the index, lots of outside quotations), non-fiction with lots of tables, or for book clubs or other places where there is a mixed group of Kindle and non-Kindle users.

I cover my thoughts on the e-book reader in postings over on my university web site here and here.

I'm still trying to reduce consumption overall, especially when it does take energy to power the Kindle (albeit a small amount), but it's nice to be able to buy a book, read it, and not add to the overall clutter in the house at all. Of course e-books have no resale value, but then again neither do many of the books we're trying to sell on Amazon.

Pocket: 4, Planet: 5, Win-Win: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment