Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 16: Buy Local Ice Cream

Megan won me over with her Homeland Creamery milk (back in Day 4), even if it is $4.99 per gallon. Their skim milk tastes as rich and creamy as 2% milk by other brands. I decided to try their $3.99 pint of chocolate ice cream with the kids this weekend. ("It's for the children!" I declared. Megan doesn't eat ice cream, so I bought it when she wasn't looking, and threw in a bag of M&Ms also.) Considering that I could get a half-gallon of most other brands for that price, I realized I was paying a lot of green for my "green" ice cream. Unlike the Homeland Creamery milk, I didn't notice any significantly better flavor or texture. (Of course, this is a lot cheaper than buying each kid a cup at Coldstone Creamery.)

Pocket: 3, Planet: 3, Win-Win: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment